|Amber Mafia II|
|Link||Amber Mafia II BTSC threads|
|Size||17 Players (Large)|
|Winning Faction||Purple aka Logrus' Agents|
|First to Die||Hirkala & Golfjunkie|
|Last Remaining||Yuli & Marq|
Warning: May contain spoilers from books 6-10 of Zelazny's Amber Chronicles - The Merlin Cycle.
It began on August 20th, 2014 and ended in a Purple Faction win in N6 (September 1st, 2014).
The struggle between Order and Chaos deepens, with the appearance of new factions, each with their own agenda:
- 4 Factions with no initial BTSC, but can meet and establish BTSC during the game
- 5 Independents which can be recruited into any of the factions and have secret abilities.
- Each night, players can either use their public (or secret) ability OR try to recruit another person to their faction.
- As a side-effect of acting on the same person, players from the same faction can meet and establish BTSC. E.g. if A targets C AND B targets C AND neither is blocked.
- They can also meet if A targets B AND B does not submit an action. But if B is trapped and A is not the one that trapped him, A's action on B will fail hence the meet will not happen.
- The recruit will share BTSC with the others only if he meets with one of the faction (as above) from the moment he/she is recruited (including the night he/she is recruited!)
- Any player meeting with another of his faction will share the same unique Faction BTSC.
- Amberites can choose to walk the Pattern, Chaos beings can choose to walk the Logrus. Those with composite blood can choose either. Walking the Pattern or Logrus gives the bearer the possibility of recruiting a player (blood type of the target does not matter): if the target is an un-recruited independent the target is recruited.
- If two or more factions try to recruit the same player, the same night, they will BOTH fail.
- Result of recruit is PMed to both the recruiter and his target along with the name of the faction. The night-post only reveals how many recruits were on that night.
- Walking the Pattern/Logrus is not always safe. Each try has a 50-75-100% chance of success (otherwise it kills the person that tries to walk it). Each role has a probability attached of successfully walking the Pattern/Logrus. Probabilities decrease with 25% each time the Pattern/Logrus is walked by that person (no matter if the recruit works/fails).
Order of actions:
- Deterministic 'verse with Chronological order of actions
- OOA: Walking the Pattern/Logrus >> Redirect >> Trap >> RID Kill >> Spy >> Oracle. Notice the >>: Right action can NEVER prevent an action to its left since it happens AFTER it chronologically speaking!
- Trap acts as a block against the target's actions AND all actions against the target (except the trap). Basically a form of invulnerability.
- What appears in the NP: Successful traps and kills.
- Same type of actions targeting each other (or in chain) -> All actions happen (E.g. A tries to kill B who tries to kill C -> both B and C are killed).
- Borda voting - 3 votes max points: 3,2,1
- Merlin (100%) - the son of Prince Corwin of Amber and Lady Dara of Chaos. He was born and raised in the Courts of Chaos, not knowing his relatives in Amber. At the end of Amber Mafia I, his father Corwin has left him with the recollections of all his relatives from Court of Amber. He studied Computer Science on Shadow Earth, inspired by his father love for the place. Being of both Chaos and Amber, he is one of the few people to have traversed both the Pattern and the Logrus, and as such is capable of both spell-casting, shape-shifting and Trump creation. Ability: Can create a Trump to an individual to send a targeted kill through (RID Kill).
- Ghostwheel (50%)- a trump- and pattern-based computer developed by Merlin in a Shadow where Earth physics do not apply. After its creation, Merlin designed it to index the Shadows similar to a search engine. It sees Merlin as its "Dad" as it is sentient and resists any attempts to be shut down. Ability: Can move one individual through Shadows, leaving him confused for the night, but also safe from all actions against him (Trap)
- Corwin's Pattern (0%) - created by Corwin in The Courts of Chaos, it is also sentient and attempts to remain neutral in the conflict between the higher powers (Pattern and Logrus). It is able to produce pattern-ghosts, and allies itself with Merlin, who along with Corwin is the only other being to walk its path. Ability: Can create a ghost of a person that has walked it and send it into the shadows to spy on another individual (Faction spy).
- Rinaldo (also known as Luke) (100%)- the son of Brand and Jasra. He (as Luke) and Merlin both studied at Berkeley and then worked in the same computer company on Shadow Earth. Luke plots his revenge against the Royal Family of Amber because they killed his father Brand. Luke never tell much about himself, but shows he is strong, intelligent and has a salesman's ability to convince people and make them do things he wants. Ability: Can create a series of events that lead to a deadly trap, as long as knows his target's identity and preferences (RID Kill)
- Dalt (50%) - another of Oberon's illegitimate sons, a mercenary who possesses a keen hatred of Amber - his symbol is a lion rending a unicorn. He was Luke's childhood friend and shared his dreams of vengeance against the Amberites that killed Brand. Dalt is very strong, and recovered from being impaled on a sword by Benedict. Ability: Can challenge one individual to combat, best and imprison his adversaries in a crystal cave for the night. The crystal cave prevents any action on the individual (Trap)
- Jasra (0%) - a powerful sorceress, mother of Luke, tutor of Julia, former handmaid to Dara and deposed ruler of the Keep of Four Worlds. She has venomous lips and a thirst for power. Ability: She can use her spells to follow others for one night (Faction spy).
- Random (100%) - son of Oberon, once a sneaky rascal often irritating and called a 'punk' by older siblings. In the past he found himself helping Corwin to regain his memory and supporting him for the throne of Amber. After the final battle at the Courts of Chaos, the Unicorn chose Random himself to succeed Oberon as King of Amber. He has strength of an Amberite in combat, however, being physically small and not as skilled as his brothers, he would normally prefer to run from a fight. Ability: As king of Amber and former rascal, he has access to a ring of assasins spread throughout the Shadows. However, he is reluctant to use them unless Amber is clearly threatened by an individual (RID Kill)
- Pattern (0%) - a sentient embodiment of Order that wishes to impose unending, unmoving, static pure order over the universe. Initiallly drawn by Dworkin after he fled the Courts of Chaos, has been locked in a struggle with the Logrus. It can manifest itself as a Unicorn, and in this form it chose Random as King of Amber after the wars ended. Ability: Can create pawns - ghosts of any person that have once walked it - and send them into the shadows to keep another piece occupied for a while (Trap).
- Vialle (50%) - a blind noblewoman from Rebma (Amber's mirror world under the seas) whom Random was forced to marry as a punishment for Random's previous misdemeanor. To everyone's surprise, the marriage worked out well. She is artistic, creating sculptures by touch, specializing in busts of the Amberites. Ability: As a queen loved by her subjects, she can use her followers once per night and send them into the shadows to spy on another individual (Faction spy).
- Dara (100%) - great-granddaughter of Benedict of Amber, Corwin's lover, mother of Merlin, and wife of the Chaos nobleman Gramble Sawall. She tricked Corwin and sneaked into Amber and walked the Pattern before the Chaos Wars erupted. She has raised all her sons to ensure at least one is high enough in the succession line, especially Merlin whom she though she could keep away from the Amberite inheritance. Ability: Can attempt to remove "obstacles" from her plans but only after carefully considering all alternatives (RID Kill)
- Logrus (0%) - The Logrus is the embodiment of Chaos, also sentient and capable of manifesting as a giant serpent, and of creating semi-solid projections similar to pattern-ghosts. It claims that the Jewel of Judgement was its eye, stolen by the Unicorn when the Pattern was created and fights it with the desire to return all existence to the primal chaos from which it came. Ability: Can send a projection across the Shadows to kidnap another pawn. While not deadly, the projection will keep its target out of the game for a night (Trap)
- Swayvil (50%)- King of Chaos, ill after Eric cursed him in the final battle of the Chaos Wars. Wants to protect the Courts from a succession wars that will inevitably errupt after his death. With Suhuy's help, he sends his agents deep within the Shadows. Ability: Can identify players involved in the game between the higher powers (Faction Spy)
Independents: Each can win with Faction if recruited, else win by staying alive (if either one faction wins by majority or all factions are wiped out). Each has a secret ability.
- Mandor - Merlin's stepbrother, a son of Gramble Sawall from a previous marriage. He is a machiavellian manipulator, but Merlin likes him.
- Fiona - Daughter of Oberon of Amber, survivor of the Redhead faction, she is still the best sorceress of the family, a deft mind and stunning beauty. With Bleys, she was one of the original co-conspirators with Brand to unseat Oberon and take the throne. Renouncing Brand, she has found herself on a lonelier path after Chaos Wars ended.
- Corwin – Son of Oberon, secretly kidnapped and imprisoned in the Shadows after the end of the Chaos Wars, he is blocked inside a loop of recollections of the past. If found, he will put his sword Grayswandir (also known as the Night Blade) to good use.
- The Ty'iga - a bodyless demon who inhabits the bodies of others. When she leaves one's body the possessed person feels like waking up from a sleep and has no memory of the intervening time. Once set by Dara on a mission to protect Merlin, she has since regained her own free will.
- Dworkin - mad sorcerer, author of the Pattern and father of Oberon. When the Primal Pattern of Amber was damaged, Dworkin went mad for the pattern was a reflection of his mind. He proposed the destruction of the Pattern and was deemed to be dangerous and unstable. Subsequently imprisoned by Oberon, he is restored to sanity after the end of the Chaos Wars.
|Secret Indy abilities|
- Golfjunkie - Logrus
- Hirkala - Swayvil
- ShadowAngel - Dara
- Yuli - Dworkin
- Marquessa - Fiona
Day and Night Posts
|Night 1 - Shadows brewing|
Well, the crowded inn had seen happier times before the Chaos Wars, but they were slowly recovering. Listened to their stories for a while, laughed at some stories. Yeah, I could return here for a while, take care of the dwarf-like warriors that roamed the night, join with the defenders. Or the attackers for a change. But I felt tired to the bone.
I signalled for another mug and reached for my Trumps. Shuffled them for a bit, till Plasmid's came on top. That will do. I reached after him. Nothing. I tried harder. Something? Something ... Plasmid's image on the card faded, but nothing came to replace it.
I sensed his presence, however, as I regarded the void. The feeling came closest to that of attempting to make contact with someone who was asleep.
A patch of light I had taken to be a stray sunbeam drifted from its position on the floor to a spot beside my mug. It was ring-shaped, and I decided not to remark upon it since neither of the others seemed to take note of it.
Harder. Harder. Suddenly, the veil was pierced and I saw the slumped form of Plasmid, apparently unconscious, lying upon a dark surface in a dark place. The golden circlet that I knew to be Ghostwheel appeared briefly then was gone. Plas' image faded and with it questions arose in my mind: "Hmm, why would Ghostwheel tuck Plas away in the Shadows?"
My mind went away for a couple of minutes then one my neighbors' story began making sense. "Angel of Shadows. ShadowAngel. I know that name", I turned around to hear more.
"The prince must've joined with some mercenaries, I tell you. Our leader fell not ten leagues from here. Why bother running further? The Angel of Shadows has been captured and we ...". "Excuse me", as I drew my mug closer to my new acquaintance, "what colors did you say those mercenaries sport?". "I didn't say." He glanced at me suspiciously, but continued "Something with a lion. And a wounded unicorn?". "So what happened?"
"Went bad for us from the first," he said. "We all thought it's the dam moon, but the commander insisted our Angel would protect us. We got an earthquake and a blizzard and lightning. But we pressed on to the walls anyhow. And I saw our Angel fly towards the walls and land on top of the defenders. We cheered as one, but the mercenaries cast a blue net all around her and there was a blinding light and she was gone." He took a quiet sip, then continued: "That's when I decided I'd had enough. I started running away and climbed on up here. Nobody chased me."
I thanked the poor man and gave him another round for this information. "A lion rending a unicorn." I mused to myself. "Sounds like Dalt is active again".
I took out my trumps, shuffled and pulled another card out. The Not-so-mad-hatter. Interesting. I stared at him for a while, but the image did not fade. It felt a bit drowsy, but that wouldn't interfere. I lifted my left hand and pulled. It took a while, but another mug appeared in my hand. Half empty but will do.
Took out all of my rings and cleared my mind. A trick I learned a long time ago from a magician. A charlatan for sure. But he sure knew some things about Shadows that rang true. Turned back to the card and put my hand on top of it, then closed my eyes and listened. The image of Boquise faded for a moment, enough to see the Pattern glowing in the background, then ... a shriek came ... oh so powerful. Enough to break my concentration and the contact with it.
Interesting turn of events. Something was brewing all over the Shadows and no one had bothered to tell me about it.
|Day 1 - Cause and effect|
Moving through the Shadows was slow at first, as I tried to evade my followers.
I took the Trumps yet again, and sifted through them. Nada. Strangers looked back at me from every corner. Friend? Foe? I seem to have lost all feelings and memories.
Nothing but the name tags on the Trumps remained. And a few without names at all.
I had no idea what had caused this, but I was determined to find out. First things first ...
The moon was purple as I arrived near the plateau. Two pyres standing alone in the center. Fire long gone.
I waved my hands and tried to look under the veils of time.
Frame by frame, figures stepping back from the pyres and going back into the darkness. I stopped when the images focused on one of the those tied. I knew this one from the Trump cards: Swayvil. Once King.
No more. And near him to his right, his bodyguard in death, another Logrus pawn.
A dark night for the Courts of Chaos. No wonder the moon was upset.
|Night 2 - Rewind, say what now?|
The beast came at me with infernal speed. As I blinked it had already crossed half of the distance.
I raised one hand in front of me with the ring pointed at the beast. Absolutely no idea what that beast was, but the Shadows held infinite dangers. Or so my teachers said.
The irony is that all this time I wanted a shortcut far away from well-known roads. Well, the roads are meant to be used for a reason. I chuckled to myself.
As I was about to meet my doom, I felt the all-too-familiar tingling sensation. A Trump call. In the middle of all this?
"Get me out", a hand stretched dimly in front of me. And I grabbed as the scene with the beast and that over-purplish inferno plateau faded into non-existence.
As I stumbled to catch my breath, I threw a glance at my saviour. Perhaps I shouldn't have. A hooded figure turned back as it shouted over his(its?) shoulder: "You waste time with childish errands. Come. News have arrived."
I pulled the tent corner up as I followed into the clearing. A table for two in the middle of what seemed to be a dense blueish forest. Nothing else in sight but the two glowing moons above.
"The ripple? Do you know what caused it? Why do your Trumps work?"
"Your questions tell me more about you than you'd really want to share." Great, another philosopher.
"Now hear me. The wheel that is not there and the sign of infinite order captured Aura. The one who follows money captured Boquise. Allegiances changed tonight. Do you understand?" I nodded silently and waited.
I knew his race. He would tell more. With time.
|Day 2 - The prince is dead?|
The hooded figure burst into the tent. I stopped my fingers inches from the sword.
"They lynched the prince!", he shouted
"Which one?", I added. I could count 7 left. At least.
"The silver rose. You must go now, you are not safe here anymore".
I took a sip from last night's cup then poured the rest onto the ground. I knew him a while back. Roamed the Shadows with a bunch of crazy little goblin-like mountain people that revered us as gods.
He was a bastard. But he sure was a fun one.
|Night 3 - Casualties of war|
A horn blew in the distance, followed by the distant roar of a beast best left unspoken. I jumped up and approached the table. My fingers itched. War was on my doorstep again. Or I had the unhealthy habit of making my doors inside other people's wars. Shadows are rarely private nowadays.
The hooded figure was in the middle of the clearing, standing still. I stood beside him, but the wind brought back nothing. He sniffed the air then went back into the tent.
I scoured the distance and saw nothing. There was an eerie feeling in the air, but no other sounds. The ripple two nights ago felt just like that, before my Trumps went numb.
I went back in to see him draw a reddish crystal ball from under the bed. "Ha!" I knew he had secrets lying around, but after you reach a certain age, one man's secrets are his own.
He nodded back silently and put the ball onto the table. I stared at him as he stared at the ball. He was a lunatic, true. But I was so enthralled by a sudden voyeuristic feeling that I did not interrupt him again.
Vapour shadows began forming in the air above the ball as he started moving his hands in complex yet seemingly chaotic pattern. Strange device, even stranger creature.
I froze. After a while I began to discern movement as the scene seemed to get nearer and nearer. And sat there quietly as they came and went.
A circlet of light appeared over the lone traveller. Miles away from the safe haven of the blue caverns, Alexeyy was pulled back into a whirlpool and tossed around to whatever previously indexed Shadow the Ghostwheel had in store for him.
There was the fearless mercenary (with his followers, less fearless without) cornering a running figure inside the most eerie pink mist I had ever seen (if you're taking notes, red plus aqua-blue equals pink), over what seemed to be an endless plateau. Oh plasmid.
A forest of unheavenly order besieged another running figure: Garioshi. His instincts led him astray as the Pattern's influence stirred the Shadows around him. He would not find his way back before the night ends.
Running towards the shore, Barcallica took a look back at the forest. Nothing. Than a larger-than-life boulder came spinning round crushing him before he could reach the boat. A mad Dworkin emerged laughing.
There stood Dee_tot, the brave Maiden all dressed in black. The horse was a pure-bred ... And. Oh. Such a fine weapon she had coming from her chest, used by the Ty'iga in the Courts. The vision's clarity was lost before she hit the ground.
"Two recruiting attempts. The fools ...", he mumbled before pouring both a drink.
"Kings and jesters, all alike." I responded much later as the sky went completely dark.
|Day 3 - Betrayal in Amber|
As dawn broke we cleared out tent and packed. The hooded figure seemed my safest bet to travel in these dangerous times so I was content with being driven blindly across the Shadows.
As he summoned a chariot, I almost cheered out loud, but as we rode I started feeling an eerie feeling. The shadows we were travelling through were similar to Arden and today I certainly did not feel like plunging knee deep in trouble.
As the first group of Rangers came towards us, I froze, yet the hooded figure commanded the chariot right through them. They did not feel us, not even the beasts. Nor the second group half a day later.
I wondered where he was driving us and if he knew that Arden is all forests, and should one choose to ride in the right directions, it is infinite and eternal.
He just chose a spot and dropped the chariot out of existence. With a nod, he showed me where to park the tent.
And there I was feeling like an apprentice again, after all these years.
Late that day, he used the crystal again, to show me a public place where heated discussions were on.
I did not felt uneasy prying on all those powerful lords and gods, but none seemed to detect our surveillance.
Somewhat abruptly, as the crowd was cheering at the two Jesters fighting, two knifes struck in the middle of the crowd.
Two forms collapsed to the ground, one barely noticed, the other right in the lap of a lady that gave a startled cry.
As the Guards rode in, two corpses remained behind: Aura/Ghostwheeland Rick/Vialle were dead.
|Night 4 - Unto the breach|
He was mad.
No. That does not even begin to describe what we tried to do that night.
He woke me up as the moons were right above us. He gestured me to silence and showed me what woke him up.
There was a misty form trapped inside an amberish pattern outside in the middle of the clearing. As we stood up on the platform in the trees, I had troubles seeing the veils, but I recognized the Pattern immediately. The form was barely noticeable but his horse had remained outside the Pattern, undisturbed. As I approached it, I had to clam him with some sugar. The letters were all addressed to Alexeyy. I read them quickly then we packed.
We set in silence at a rapid pace through the dense woods. He rarely seemed disturbed by the dense structures of the forest. As we neared what seemed to be a cave, I had already lost all senses except the one keeping me going.
We did not stop there. We went through those dark tunnels till ... forever and then some more.
He finally stopped in a room where the moons were visible through a giant crack up on the ceiling. As I unpacked the tent, he showed me two events in the crystal ball: first, poor Plasmid, struck by Merlin 's lightning as he was whistling back home and then Benjer, drawn in a duel and bested by The Ty'iga.
I glanced back at him and counted to 8. He nodded back and we went to sleep as the dawn broke.
|Day 4 - Confusion|
I woke up as the sun fell though the same crack in the ceiling of the cave. The hooded figure was gone.
I searched around and found some food left for me and a note: "Follow the river. Stay awake. Stop as the second moon rises."
I quickly packed and began to backtrace the cave labyrinth. Just as I was about to give up, I found an underground spring. It was warm to the touch.
I used some rope and a boulder to measure it then jumped right in. It went on for ages, but the blood of Amber needs less air than a mere mortal. I almost fell asleep in the end, but swam on. I almost laughed at the irony of being broken by a mere river after walking infinitely more treacherous Pattern.
As I came out in the clearing, I saw a corpse hidden poorly behind the branches of a fallen oak: Alexeyy .
A note was attached to it: "Here lies Rinaldo, revenge him not and let the circle break!". I was confused by the words.
As the second moon was rising, I buried him and thought of it no more.
|Night 5 - End of an illusion|
He found me before the third moon. I almost pierced him with my crossbow before seeing his burning eyes under the hood.
He pointed back towards the mountains. Over our heads, up in the air, a green web was silently descending. As it grew larger, I saw a familiar figure trapped within.
We started off into the forest again, but stopped dead in our tracks as we heard the shouting coming from above.
A burning mage fell through the skies and went right through the web almost tearing it apart. It healed back on. The mage did not.
|Day 5 - Flash ... Gordon coming through|
As we moved through the woods, the forest life went silent.
Then a thunder was heard in the distance and we ducked behind the biggest willow tree I had ever seen.
He took a strange device from his robe and threw it into the air. It beeped in a strange tune then came back to his hands.
He looked at the image forming in the vortex: "Flash Gordon approaching!", he smiled at me.
I blinked in confusion, then started laughing as it hit me. "Dispatch War Rocket Ajax at once my liege!" We laughed our hearts out.
With a thud, a meteor hit the willow tree and fell as we jumped away to safety. Badly burnt, the corpse of Jasra made a smaller impact to the ground.
|Night 6 - Checkmate|
We marched relentlessly the whole night. As he turned the leaves green and purple, I knew we had arrived at our destination.
A waterfall. Not just a waterfall. A congruence of Shadows. You could feel it in the air. Or not. Depending on your blood type. No pun intended.
Two figures were separated by the rapid waters of the river. Each had several glowing shields of protection around them which in turn dyed the skies with green and purple. The humming of magic as the shields met in the middle surpassed the mighty roar of water dropping from above.
A lone figure was floating stationary in the river in a strange bubble: Fiona. She watched the two showing and waited patiently as she had done the nights before. She knew Mandor well, but did not dare join either in battle.
Suddenly, a burst of electricity span from Dworkin and draw her to his side of the river. As she was engulfed in his shield, it grew stronger, pushing the green shield back onto Mandor.
Up there, on the cliff of the waterfall two lightning bolts met over the falling water. The Ty'iga shattered into a million pieces as the purple fire burst inside her.
Another cry and a figure fell on Dworkin's side of the river. I had seen that face before - the lovely & treacherous Dara.
I wonder what scheme she had been up to. Her link to the purple shield faded and Dworkin blinked in surprise as a recent spell was broken. His eyes focused on his opponent and he let the full force of his shields to expand over to the other side. Mandor was no more.
He shook his head and let out a cry to the sky: "Check mate!". As he helped Fiona up, the shields dimmed, barely visible.
He turned abruptly and stared right back at us: "Son, I'm intrigued. Why are you coming back to me in this form?", he shouted at the hooded figure.
"I've come to cast the veil off. And help you, of course. But I see you still got no match on the Dueling Grounds", the hooded figure shouted back.
"You little ... you wouldn't lift a finger if it didn't suit your purposes. Well, I'll have you know I'm not over yet. Even though your patch works, it's been ... Wait a minute. Your patch works. How did you? Oberon, what have you done?"
"I took a small risk and here I am. I'll explain in due time. Right now I need you back safe in Amber."
"Come, we have work to do", he glanced back at me.
And I followed.
This apprentice thing was starting to grow on me.
End of Game Roster
- golfjunkie - Logrus - Lynched D1
- Yuli - Dworkin - Recruited by Shadow/Dara to Purple team in N2
- Marquessa - Fiona - Recruited by Yuli/Dworkin to the Purple Team in N6
- Hirkala - Swayvil - Lynched D1
- Auramyna - Ghostwheel - Lynched D3
- ShadowAngel - Dara - Killed N6 by The Ty'iga
- Benjer - Merlin - Killed N4 by The Ty'iga
- Boquise - Pattern - Killed N5 by Dara
- plasmid - Random - Killed N4 by Merlin
- WakeUpDonnie - Corwin - Lynched D2
- Barcallica - Corwin's Pattern - Killed N3 by Dworkin
- Garioshi - Jasra - Lynched D5
- Kiwifruit - The Ty'iga - Recruited by Plasmid/Random to the Green team in N4 - Killed N6 by Dara
- Alexeyy86 - Rinaldo - Lynched D4
- Jay Gold - Mandor - Recruited by RickGates/Vialle to the Green Team in N3 - Killed endgame by Dworkin & Fiona
- dee_tot - Dalt - Killed N3 by The Ty'iga
- RickGates - Vialle - Lynched D3
|List of actions|