|Size||12 Players (Small)|
|Start Date||September 25th, 2008|
|First to Die||Frozen_in_Fire|
|Last Remaining|| Joe's Student|
Pirate Mafia was a game designed and hosted by Sinistral based on original design.
It began on September 25th, 2008 and ended in a Goodie win in D4 (October 1st, 2008).
- Planking is OPTIONAL on Day 1 only. During Day 1, you may choose to place a vote to not plank anybody that day. I am allowing this for strategic reasons. However, if I feel that people are defaulting to this option instead of participating in discussion, it may change without warning.
- Pirate Night Kills - Because of the night visit and watching dynamic, along with the Pirates' choice of who to kill each night, they must also select one of their own to perform the killing. This person will be the one affected by any result of visiting the victim that night to kill them. If the pirates do not include this information in their nightly PM, I will select one of the Pirates at random.
- Night actions are not mutually exclusive and do not cancel each other unless stated otherwise. If Kraken chooses to kill a pirate and pirates choose to kill Kraken... both will die. If Kraken chooses to kill One-Eyed Jack and Pirates choose to kill Kraken, both will die and Kraken wins the game, dying in the process.
- Night PMs are final. You will not be allowed to change your mind once you have sent in a PM. This applies to the Pirate Alchemist as well.
- If the voting ever ends up as a tie, a coin toss will determine who will be planked.
- There will be no hints in day/night posts.
- If you are dead, don't go too far... you may still be able to participate in one way or another.
- There may be a few secrets that show up during the voyage. There will be no secret win conditions however.
Pirates: - Win if they are the majority on any given day. Know each other's identities and can communicate at night.
- Pirate Lord - Always appears as an innocent if investigated, will show as pirate if planked.
- Pirate Wench - Can select one person each night to "visit". That person fails to perform any actions for that night. (They were sorta... distracted.) Does not have any effect on Kraken. Takes precedence over all other night actions.
- Pirate Alchemist - During the day, not 2x in a row. Can PM a person's name AND role. If correct, that person dies from poison during the night if not treated by herbalist. If incorrect role is given, the wrong poison was used and the person will know they were poisoned. If treated by herbalist, announced in night post to everyone. Does not count as a night visit.
Kraken: - Wins by killing One-Eyed Jack, or if last one standing.
- The Kraken - The Legendary Sea Monster. Kills on even nights. Immune for first night and day. Wins if it can kill One-Eyed Jack. If One-Eyed Jack is killed by some other means, the Kraken will leave the game.
Crew: - Win if all the Pirates (and Kraken) are dead.
- One-Eyed Jack - Former pirate who once awakened the Kraken, but has grown old and is now paranoid that the Kraken is after him. Is missing one eye, and can't see very well with the other. Will kill ANYONE who visits him during the night, except the Kraken. Cannot be pirate killed at night using normal means. Can still be planked/poisoned. Wins with innocents.
- Bartender - The bartender is well-liked and respected among everyone on board. All his votes are counted double(triple if over 10 people voting). The bartender has an extensive knowledge of drinks and thus cannot be poisoned by the Alchemist. Will be informed if a poison attempt is made on him, but is not informed of the Alchemist's identity.
- Doctor - Chooses one person each night to save. Can save self once per game. If that person would be killed by pirates that night, they are saved instead. Does not save from poison or Kraken. 50% chance to save from One-Eyed Jack.
- Navy Officer - Chooses one living person each night to investigate. Will be told in morning if that person is (pirate/innocent/Kraken). [Knows identity of One-Eyed Jack].
- Stowaway - Can visit one person each night and hide in their cabin. If that person is visited at night, the Stowaway will know who visited them.
- Lookout - From up in the crow's nest, picks one person to watch each night. If that person visits someone at night, the lookout will know who they visited. Does not count as a visit.
- Swashbuckler - A master swordsman. Can choose one person each night to visit and protect from pirates. Can choose self(defend). If pirates try to kill that person at night, an epic battle ensues. 50% chance the pirate is killed, 25% chance the swashbuckler is killed, 25% chance target is killed. When defending self, chances are 50/50. Does not protect from Kraken. After used successfully, swashbuckler's identity is revealed during night post.
- Herbalist - Each night can choose one person to visit and counteract poison.
- Wally West - Swashbuckler
- Frozen in Fire - Stowaway
- Joe's Student - Lookout
- Ben_Law - One-Eyed Jack
- Unreality - Herbalist
- GreyCells - Bartender
- woon - Doctor
- Slick - Navy Officer
MVP: Joe's Student (based on host's point system)
Day and Night Posts
|The ship “Sinistral’s Fury” left the port of Rain Bend and sailed off into the night. There were clear skies so it was a fine night to be sailing at sea. The crew drank rum and grog into the early hours of the morning before eventually retiring to their cabins. Well, some of them, anyway. There were pirates on board the ship and everyone was worried. One sailor in particular was walking around on deck. He had a bit too much rum and was stumbling around a bit. Up ahead he noticed another sailor with a mug of grog in hand who looked even more drunk than he was. “Ahoy there!”, he said to the drunk. “Haven’t ye heard? There be pirates on this ship! Ya really should get back to your cabin, it isn’t safe out here.”
The drunk turned to him and said “Aye lad, how very right you are “, as he put one arm around the sailor and ran him through the heart with the concealed sword in his other arm. “There be pirates on board… and don’t’ ye forget it.” The “drunk” then pushed the body of Frozen_in_fire overboard and into the murky water below, with a stunned look still upon his face.
|Day 1 - Interlude|
|Captain Sinistral stood at the helm of the ship, pondering the events of the night before. Them pirates don't waste any time, he thought. The morale of the crew is excellent though, these sailors are keeping to the pirate spirit very well indeed. He knew many routes he could take to get to his destination, but which route should he take this time around? Should he sail by the Isle of the Damned and brave its haunted waters, or sail around it to the south but risk sailing into the storm he knew was brewing in that direction? Or he could head northeast and sail by one of the islands there, and still there was yet another option he hadn't considered. Sinistral thought of the fallen crew member, Frozen_in_fire. "Its a shame he had to die so early in our voyage. Based on what I know about Frozen_in_fire, he would have wanted us to go......"
..."Right into the heart of the storm. He was a brave one, that Frozen_in_fire, and would not have backed down from a mere storm." Sinistral adjusted the ship's course accordingly.
Captain Sinistral went below deck and came back up with a triangular shaped object. "It seems we have a three way tie!" Seeing as how we do not have a three sided coin, this triangular object will have to do. Sinistral wrote the names of Wally West, Crazypainter, and Slick on each of the sides, and tossed the object high in the air. When it landed... the name showing was....
The sun, a golden coin in the sky, flashed down upon the terrible scene happening aboard Sinistral's Fury.
"I'm telling you, mates!" Wally West screamed, backing up against the wooden railing. "I'm not evil!" His hands shook violently as the crowd of crew members proceeded towards him, shining scimitars and daggers raised above their heads. There were just too many against him.
"Too bad," Woon grinned, fingering the bone handle of a knife. "It doesn't matter whether you're evil anymore. You're going to walk the plank!"
"Walk the plank! Walk the plank!" everyone shouted, their eyes swirling with madness.
A crew member dashed forward, bound Wally West's hands with a thick, scratchy piece of rope, and pushed him/her onto the wooden board hanging precariously over the tip of the ship. Wally West slowly walked to the edge and swallowed bravely.
"Goodbye... matey," laughed Slick as the body of Wally West was kicked off the plank and into the churning sea waters below. It was as if the ocean was opening its horrid mouth, waiting to engulf the Swashbuckler in water.
|Night 2 - The Storm|
|The wind grew fierce and the rain came down hard as the Sinistral’s Fury headed directly into the storm. The ship rocked violently from side to side as it traveled over the waves. Captain Sinistral was not worried however, as he had sailed through many a storm before, some even far worse than this one. Although visibility was poor due to the blinding rain, his crew were a fine bunch of sailors and for the most part seemed to be holding up just fine.
Unreality stepped out of his warm cabin and into the raging storm outside. Cold sheets of rain immediately began to splash over his face as the screaming sound of the wind swirled around him. Streaks of lightning flashed through the sky like daggers.
A dark figure, holding a long blade that glinted sinisterly even in the total darkness, approached unreality. The black cloak wrapped around him flapped wildly in the gusts of wind. His sunken, empty eyes showed no expression as he raised his sword.
Unreality whipped around, holding a dagger that he had kept hidden in his coat pocket. The sound of steel clashing against steel echoed through the ship.
Unreality leaped back, his boots making a thump as he landed smoothly on the slippery deck. He gritted his teeth and gripped the handle of his knife tighter.
The dark figure remained motionless. Except for his hands. His hands began to move together in a hypnotizing way, making strange shapes and symbols with his fingers. A blue aura began to appear around his body.
Unreality nervously stepped back and held his dagger in front of him instinctively. "Something big is about to happen," he thought. "I just know it." His eyes suddenly snapped open. "Could he be...?"
He had no time to think. An icy wave of seawater shot up into the air behind the Kraken and hurtled towards Unreality at a hundred miles per hour. The impact sent him barreling into the ocean, an explosion of foam and crystal clear water coming up like a geyser behind him.
A silver pool of moonlight illuminated Unreality's limp body before he disappeared into the ocean forever.
Mekal sat up in bed and pondered the day’s events as the storm raged on outside. It had been a busy day today, what with throwing Wally West off the ship and finding out that he had been the Swashbuckler.
He slumped into his pillow and uncorked a flask of rum he had hidden beneath his bed. Swallowing a mouthful, he pulled up the blankets behind him and tried to go to sleep.
But somehow, he couldn't. The back of his neck prickled, as if someone was watching him. "I can't go to sleep," he murmured to himself.
"Then I'll help you," a thin voice whispered. Mekal barely had time to open his eyes before a sword was rammed into his chest by a shadowy figure.
The last thing he heard before collapsing was that pirate's reedy voice. "Now ye can go to sleep for a while, mate!"
Storm Effect - (All night actions, including pirate abilities but not pirate and kraken kills, had a 50% chance of failure due to poor visibility during storm. You will know if your action failed because of the storm.)
|Day 2 - The Calm After The Storm|
|The low rumbling of thunder could be heard off in the distance as the ship continued on its southbound course. The worst part of the storm was behind them, and there was nothing but calm seas up ahead on the horizon. Captain Sinistral smiled to himself knowing that they had sailed right through the middle of the storm without any damage to the ship. "I'm sure the spirit of Frozen_in_fire must have been pleased.", he thought. "But now there's another decision to make, and he would have wanted us to go..."
Cherry Lane backed up against a crate of rum. "C-cmon, guys," she stammered, staring at the descending crowd of crew members. "Y-you know I'm not a pirate..."
"Really now," Slick sneered, surveying the helpless Cherry Lane lying at his feet. "Do you really think now, after so much consideration, that we'd let you go?"
"Yes?" Cherry Lane said hopefully. "You wouldn't hurt a nice pretty girl like me, would ya?" But all traces of hope vanished when Joe's Student pushed a large, wooden crate in front of her face and stood back.
"A present," Joe's Student chuckled. "All for you!"
The sides of the crate fell apart and revealed a massive, iron cage decorated with pictures of ships and monstrous creatures. And inside the cage was a mass of squealing, drooling rats.
"These poor creatures haven't eaten for days," explained Joe's Student. "I think we should feed them a little something, eh?"
The crew members behind him roared their agreement as the door of the cage was opened. Everyone covered their ears as the screams of the Pirate Wench echoed throughout the ship.
|Night 3 - Lucky Stars|
|The moon and stars illuminated the night sky as the ship sailed onward to the east. There wasn’t a single cloud in the sky, a welcome change from the previous night’s storm. Slick stood on the deck of the ship, rum in hand, looking up at the stars. “That one group of stars looks like a face without a nose,” Slick said to himself, wistfully. “Aye, and them stars o’er there looks like ye with me sword in yer chest!” laughed a voice behind him. Slick turned around quickly as the pirate’s sword sunk into his chest, a little bit below the left shoulder. If he hadn’t reacted so quickly and moved a little bit, the sword would have certainly pierced his heart. Slick grimaced in pain as he grabbed the pirate’s sword firmly with his right hand, even though it was still in his chest. The pirate struggled to pull his sword free from Slick’s chest so that he could make another attack, but Slick held it firmly and forced the pirate to let go of the sword. The wounded Slick smiled grimly as he drew his own sword, blood beginning to trickle out of his mouth. “Now you will die, pirate scum… I may be wounded but now you’ve got no sword,” said Slick. The masked pirate stood there for a moment, and then burst out into laughter. “Matey, I’m a pirate, remember?”, said the pirate as he drew his pistol and shot Slick right in the chest. The swords fell to the deck with a clatter as Slick’s body slumped to the floor. The pirate walked away, still laughing.
The doctor was hurriedly checking the cabins below deck. I’ve got to find Slick, he thought. He had a bad feeling about tonight. Suddenly he heard the sound of a gunshot from up above deck. He ran up the stairs to find Slick lying there, sword wound on the left side of his chest, and gunshot to the right side. He was bleeding profusely. “The sword just missed his heart… and the shot pierced his lung but he might still make it,” thought the doctor as he expertly diagnosed Slick’s injuries. Luckily I found him in time. Slick, barely conscious at this point, lay on the deck and looked up at that same group of stars before passing out.
|Day 3 - Pins and Needles|
|Joe's Student tied Crazypainter to the mast of the ship and stepped back, satisfied. "I say, mates, isn't that a perfect touch to a fine ship?"
"I'm innocent," Crazypainter insisted, tugging against the ropes. "Listen ter me! I swear! I'm just a stowaway. Can't you investigate me or something?"
"Sure you are," mumbled the still injured Slick, rolling his eyes as he polished his longsword. "That's what they all say."
Itachi laughed, nonchalantly flipping a knife between his fingers. "Just shut up, 'kay? You're goin' to die whether ya struggle or not."
"Now, everybody," GC called out, raising the tip of his scimitar. "One the count o' three, git ready to throw 'em."
"One..." GC grinned at Crazypainter, who was still struggling against her fate. "Two... Three!"
All at once, the crew members hurled their weapons at the lone figure tied to the mast. Crazypainter's eyes widened as a dozen blades seemed to grow out of her chest, making her look like a human pincushion. The Pirate Lady sighed for the last time before her head lolled back against the mast and lay still.
Instead of today's intended puzzle- Bonus: +1 pirate points to the first one who can point out the flaw in Crazypainter's alibi. Ghosts, this is open to you as well, but you may not post any information that only you would know, or that isn't public knowledge.
|Night 4 - Silent Night ?!?!?!|
|The ship continued on towards the east as it sailed through the night. Everyone slept soundly in their cabins... for once.|
|Day 4 - Why's the rum gone?|
|Itachi backed up against the side of the ship as the angry crew members formed a circle around him. "You must be the last pirate!" Ben Law shouted as he loaded his pistol with gunpowder.
"Yes, there is only one suspect left and that is Itachi," said Woon, brandishing a dagger.
"Aye, he tried to be tricky last night, but we were not fooled", said Joe's Student as he advanced a little closer, sword pointed directly at Itachi.
"Are ye sure about that? I be the last pirate, but I did fool all o' ye last night. All your rum are belong to us", said Itachi as he climbed up onto the ship's railing.
"Arrr! You took our rum?" asked GC angrily as he raised his scimitar.
"Don't worry, he didn't get all of it," said Slick, emerging from the circle with a drink of rum in one hand, sword in the other. "I took some back to my cabin to help speed my recovery", laughed Slick as he took another swig.
"I wouldn't drink that if I were you," said Itachi as he glanced out at the sea behind him.
"Yer a lying pirate scum, and now yer going to die", said Slick defiantly.
"Fine, suit yourself. Ye may have figured me out, but I'll not allow the lot of ye the pleasure of killing me", said Itachi as he drew his pistol, raised it to his own head, and pulled the trigger.
The body of the Pirate Alchemist fell out over the railing and hit the water below with a splash, then sank into the depths with an odd smile still on his face.
|Later that night...
"Have we reached our destination?", asked GC, the bartender, as he cleaned up some mugs off the bar.
"It is good that nobody else die", said Doctor Woon as he tended Slick's bandages.
"Aye, and now that the pirate scum are all dead, lets find that treasure", said Slick, the wounded Navy Officer.
"Did somebody say treasure?" asked Ben Law, also known as One-Eyed Jack, as he emerged from his cabin. "I can come out now that the blasted Kraken is gone."
Captain Sinistral anchored the ship near the deserted island, and went ashore with the remaining crew to search for the treasure. He glanced down at an old piece of parchment in his hand from time to time as he led the crew through the jungle, instructing them to turn left or turn right at seemingly random places. Eventually they got to a small clearing, where Sinistral mumbled something about "X marks the spot", and instructed the crew to dig. After about an hour of digging, one of the shovels made a loud clang as it hit something metallic. The crew unearthed a small treasure chest and carried it back to the ship. "As promised, we will all share this treasure, ye have been a fine crew", said Sinistral as he opened up the chest. Inside were hundreds of gold doubloons, jewels, and other valuable items. After dividing up the treasure evenly, Sinistral raised his jeweled mug and shouted, "Arrr! Lets have a drink to honor our fallen crew members, and another drink to the pirates and Kraken who made this such a fun trip!".
"But Cap'n", GC said sadly, "The last pirate took all our rum, remember?"
Sinistral laughed. "Arr! He did get SOME of the rum, but not ALL of it, matey. I always keep a secret stash down below deck for emergencies. And having no rum to celebrate counts as an emergency!"
The crew members brought out the rum and drank and celebrated long into the night before heading back to their cabins. The bartender GC started cleaning up the bar when he noticed one crew member who had fallen asleep in his seat. "Slick matey," said GC, "ye've had enough to drink, wake up and lets get ye back to yer cabin. Ye need not worry about pirates tonight." GC tried to wake Slick, but Slick lay perfectly still.
"Arrr! Blast you, Itachi!" shouted GC.
End of Game Roster
- Cherry Lane - Pirate Wench - Lynched D2
- Wally West - Swashbuckler - Lynched D1
- Frozen in Fire - Stowaway - Killed N1 by Pirates
- Crazypainter - Pirate Lord - Lynched D3
- Joe's Student - Lookout
- Ben_Law - One-Eyed Jack
- Itachi-san (Dusty) - Pirate Alchemist - Lynched D4
- Unreality (Kathleen)- Herbalist - Killed N2 by Kraken
- GreyCells - Bartender
- woon - Doctor
- Mekal - Kraken - Killed N2 by Pirates
- Slick - Navy Officer