WinCon (or wincon) is an abbreviation of "winning condition" = goal required for a faction to win.
Q: If each faction is like a team, how do they win?
A: Each team is pitted against each other. Each faction is technically enemies with the others (although some factions may have alliances and whatnot) and has a separate win condition. A win condition is a situation/goal/condition that has to be met to win the game i.e. kill all others, or kill specific player, or do something specific. In some cases, a particular faction or role may have a WinCon that is secret.
The following is a list of typical WinCons found in Mafia Games, along with comments for players and hosts.
Typically, when a WinCon is fulfilled, the game stops, with one faction (or more) declared a winner. Some WinCon may allow for a faction to win and be removed from the game, allowing the other factions to play further for a tie win.
- For Goodies (Innocents):
- Eliminate the Baddies / Eliminate the Baddies and Indies - This condition is achieved if at the end of one cycle, all baddies (or baddies and indies) are dead and there is still one goodie alive. This typically results in a win for the whole goodie faction, even if some of them are dead (unless specified otherwise). If the WinCon involves all other factions being eliminated (dead) this is equivalent to Last Standing
- For Baddies (Mafia):
- Eliminate the Goodies - This condition is achieved if at the end of one cycle, all goodies are dead and there is still one baddie alive. If the WinCon involves all other factions being eliminated (dead) this is equivalent to Last Standing
- Be in Majority - This WinCon condition is most of the times equivalent to Last Standing for factions with a Group Kill e.g. for Baddies. It is considered fulfilled if the number of own faction members left alive is greater than the rest of the alive players before a night or a day cycle. Being in majority typically allows for a successful lynch of the other faction members, coupled with their Group Kill, hence the game is considered finished (actually fast-forwarded).
- For Indies there are a lot of possible wincons. Some of the most frequent are:
- Outlive some roles (either public or chosen secretly by the host) - this is automatically fulfilled when all roles mentioned in the wincon are dead and the indy is still alive.
- Survive till the end - this is fulfilled either if Indy is alive when another faction reaches its WinCon or if the Indy is Last Standing. Hosts can decide to award tie wins if for example a goodie and an indy are the only ones left standing before a night and neither carries a night-kill (since it would be a tie/random lynch the next day).
- Be in Majority
- Eliminate some roles or a certain proportion of given targets (either public or chosen secretly by the host) - this is mostly employed when indies have killing abilities (most frequently RID Kills) and are forced to both take out their targets and outlive them. Most popular: "RID Kill 2 out of 3 secret targets"